A healthy human greatly depends on a healthy environment.
St. John’s Medical Center is committed to protecting and preserving
the environment by promoting cost-effective business practices consistent
with the following principles:
- We will meet or exceed all environmental laws and regulations
- We support and encourage recycling of the materials used within the hospital
- We minimize waste and ensure that contaminated waste is disposed of in
a safe and responsible manner
- We encourage the use of alternate transportation through financial and
- We purchase products that contain recyclable or reusable materials whenever possible
- We practice water conservation and energy efficiency
- We use environmentally friendly cleaning products whenever possible
- We strive to eliminate the emissions of toxins or dangerous substances
into the air, water, or earth
- We participate with organizations, businesses, and the public to encourage
environmentally responsible practices within our community and state.
Our recent accomplishments and sustainability goals include:
- Improve signage and increase number of recycling collection bins in order
to increase recycling rate by 1%.
- Create a sustainability plan that aligns with organizational priorities
and builds feasible objectives into the overall strategic plan.
Increase the amount of locally grown produce by
- buying a hydroponic wall for growing greens
- quantifying all produce grown from the wall and on-site gardens
- Increase the percentage of Green Seal-certified cleaning products purchased
and used by St. John’s.
- Purchase cactus sinks for the operating room (OR) and establish tracking
for OR pharmaceutical waste.