Certified Lactation Consultants in Jackson, WY
We are excited that you have chosen to breastfeed, and we are proud to
have six Certified Lactation Consultants available to assist you. These
breastfeeding experts are on-site to support you after delivery and teach
you techniques that you can use at home. They are ready and willing to
answer the many questions you may have about how to properly feed your baby.
Benefits of Breastfeeding
Breastfeeding is highly recommended by medical professionals as it has
numerous benefits for both mother and child. Breast milk is full of antibodies
that jump starts your baby’s immune system, giving them a head start
in fighting ear infections, diarrhea, and other conditions. Some studies
have even shown that individuals who were breastfed tend to have higher
IQs and feel closer to their parents.
- Benefits of breastfeeding include:
- Baby has a strong source of antibodies
- Save money on baby food
- It is easier to help your baby gain appropriate weight
- Lowers risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
- Breastfeeding burns calories for the mother
- Helps mother’s body recover from pregnancy
- Lowers mother’s risk of ovarian cancer and osteoporosis
When Not to Breastfeed
There are some instances where breastfeeding can do more harm than good.
It is important to discuss your medical history with your doctor to find
out if breastfeeding is a safe option for your baby.
- You should avoid breastfeeding if:
- You are taking certain types of medication (consult with a physician)
- You take certain illegal substances
- You are HIV positive
- You are receiving chemotherapy
- Your baby is diagnosed with galactosemia
- You are undergoing radiation therapy
- You consumed alcohol in the last 2 hours
Do not worry if you cannot breastfeed your baby or make a personal choice
not to. While breastfeeding can be beneficial, there are no guaranteed
negative side effects for your baby if they do not consume breast milk.
Schedule an Appointment
Please feel free to schedule an appointment with one of our Lactation Consultants
during your pregnancy or after returning home. Certified Lactation Consultants
are available from 9:00am - 5:00pm Monday - Friday. Call 307.739.7572
for any assistance you need.